MAP Youth Poems

During a Big Group Meeting MAP Youth penned "I am" and "I am feeling" poems. Youth had the opportunity to reflect and express themselves in writing. Below are two examples of MAP Youth Poems:

Fatuma Osman’s “I am from” Poem:
I am from Buffalo where the winters are so cold my toes and fingertips go numb. I am from Buffalo where one day it’s sunny the next it’s snowing. I come from a place where the pot holes are so bad you can get injured. I come from a place where the sun can be so hot at times it feels like you’re burning but the next day is cold. I come from a place where the Zoo has nothing to offer, nothing to really see. I come from a place where there is so much violence my own classmates haven't gotten to see 20 and we are just turning 18. I come from a place where sitting on your porch you have to be aware of your surroundings not knowing with a blink of an eye your life is gone . I come from a place where once you hear someone blasting music in their car you know it’s summer.

 Ezekiel Williams “I am feeling” Poem:


Today I am feeling relaxed. Relaxed like the red rocket I have at home. Swaying back and fourth under the light getting the food and nutrients it needs. The red rocket rocket has it easy now that it has already germinated and now it just has to grow. It had hard times germinating but now it has gotten through those hard times we can now grow.
A Red Rocket Pepper Seedling at MAP's Spring Seedling Sale

Comments