"At a time like this it's been very hard for me and my family because we don't have enough food, but it's harder to go grocery shopping because of this virus going on. During this quarantine I've been cleaning and exercising more. I always find new things to do whether practicing my new makeup looks, drawing, or finding a new dish to make etc. I've been thinking about things I want to accomplish when this quarantine is over, such as getting my ID since I already turned 18, and also sign up for a bank account and get my permit so I can start learning how to drive."
Here are Day's recipes for Thai Style Brussels Sprouts and Thai Shrimp Fried Rice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3-4 Thai chili peppers
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced (optional
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
- Vegetable oil
- First we're going to make spicy garlic paste. Using a mortar and pestle, mash together garlic and chili peppers. Add fish sauce and lime juice. Then add thinly sliced shallots and let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Add peanuts and quartered Brussels sprouts. Make sure they are dry before you fry them.
- Fry Brussels sprouts for about 4-5 minutes until the inside starts to turn a bit yellow, but don't over cook it.
- Lastly, mix in your spicy garlic paste with the Brussels sprouts and then you're done!!
Thai Shrimp Fried Rice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cups pre-cooked shrimp
- 3 cups pre-cooked rice, chilled
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- 3 Tbsp Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce (tuong gia vi)*
- 1 Tbsp black soy sauce* (optional)
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste ( I used about 1/2 Tbsp)
- Heat about 2 Tbsp of oil in a frying pan or wok. Meanwhile, scramble your eggs in a bowl.
- Fry eggs for about 1 minute then add carrots and green pepper and fry for about 2-3 minutes (don’t over fry).
- Add onion and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and fry for 3-4 minutes
- Stir in chilled rice. I use chilled rice because it helps the fried rice be less sticky.
- Add seasonings and cook for another 2-3 minutes until rice is hot.
- Adjust seasonings to taste!
*Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce is a popular soy-based condiment used in Thai cooking. It has a green cap and can be found in Asian markets.
*Black soy sauce is made from fermenting soy sauce with molasses or sugar and adds sweetness to a dish