Meet Lay Dia!


My name is Lay Dia and I am 17 years old. I was born in Thailand. When I was seven, my family decided to move to America to start a new life. Life in Thailand was great and lively but my parents wanted us to have a better future so they brought us to American. They have sacrificed a lot for me and my sisters so I am very thankful. I moved to Buffalo in 2007 and started a new life here. I continue to live in Buffalo and I have learned and experienced many new things here.

During the fall of 2007, my friend introduced me to her job. I told her I wanted to get a job and she told me about MAP. I went through the interview process and I am really glad that they saw potential in me and accepted me to the program. I have been working with MAP for almost four months. I love to work at the garden and draw. However, I don't always enjoy writing in MAP unless I am interested in the topic. 


I go to Hutch Tech and I am a junior so it is really stressful and important year for me to focus on my education. Sometimes working and going to school at the same time can be challenging because by the time I come to work I am already worn out from school so I get really tired. Tiredness and laziness is often a challenge for me so it is my goal to stay healthy so I don't get worn out.

School is the main focus of my life and I am really focused. My goal for my academic portion is to do really well so that I can have a bright future. I plan on graduating high school, going to college, getting a profession that I enjoy, and spending the rest of my life traveling. 


Outside of school, I love to sleep, watch movies, and babysit my seven month old baby sister. She is really cute so I really adore her. I love to feed her and carry her. 


My favorite food to eat are instant ramen noodles. I know it is unhealthy but it tastes so delicious. I love to purchase instant ramen noodles so I guess I am giving back to the community since my purchases benefit business people to help our economy. I spend I a lot of my money on food.

There are many goals I have in life. One of my most important goals is to give back to my community by helping others.When I become a doctor, I want to go back to my country and help improve the healthcare system. Another goal I have for myself is to grow as a person intellectually. I also want to  travel and cherish the memories and knowledge I learn while traveling. This is the reason why the money I earn from MAP is saved for my future plan. 


I love to eat and so does my family. When I was younger, back in Thailand, my family loved to plant bananas and pick bamboo shoots. We sometimes boil the bamboo and eat it with fish paste. My mom also cooks bamboo with pork and it is really unique and delicious. The memories of my family and our love for food is something that I really cherish.
 

I have lived in the United States for almost ten years and each day my experiences help me grow as an individual. I learn more about myself and those are details that I want to share with you guys.


Comments