Interviewing Dan Ash from Farmer Pirates

Image source
By Maire E

This spring at MAP something that I found meaningful was interviewing Dan Ash from the People's Food Movement. He is one of the founders of the Farmer Pirates, which is a group of urban farmers. He specializes in the Farmer Pirates compost distribution service. I asked him questions all about the Farmer Pirates and urban farming techniques. The information I gathered was put onto information posters the People's Food Movement.

Through interviewing him I learned all about the importance of compost and how healthy soil can heavily impact the growing potential of your plants. This was extremely education for me as I am in the Farm & Garden group at MAP. We are currently learning about this at work and my understanding was broadened through this interview.

The interview with Dan Ash allowed me to have a more in-depth understanding of farming and what goes into doing it without pesticides and fertilizers that are used in commercial farming. We could use this in our garden by focusing on making the best coil we possibly can with compost and other methods. Healthy soil is better for the plants and those eating them.

Comments