Planning for the March Meeting


By Sophia B

We, the youth at the Massachusetts Avenue Project, are planning a meeting in March. This winter we will introduce to MAP staff, board and community members the initiatives we are working on, and to get them to join us to make positive change.

One of the initiatives that I have worked on is the Healthy Corner Store Project. This summer I was able to go canvassing and got the peoples point of view. While canvassing, I was able to translate to come people who didn't speak English. This made me feel honored. Asking people who are not familiar with the initiative was interesting because they were able to share with us what they go through and how healthy corner stores would help them. For instance, many people live near a corner store, and don't have a car, so they just shop at the corner store where the food is unhealthy. This is one of the reasons the March meeting is important.

Working on something as amazing as this made me feel that I am part of something bigger than myself. To me, that is priceless.

Comments