Grow Up

By Kiara Cureton

During my stay in Connecticut with MAP, I had a lot of highs and a lot of lows.  Overall I had a good time with my peers and co-workers, but sadly enough my lows had me ready to return to my home town and snuggle up in my warm cozy bed.  Things that contributed to me wanting to go home was this one persons' horrible and nasty behavior.  I'm not one that likes to be disrespected or to see others being disrespected, but with all that being said, I am sad to say I witnessed an adult acting out as if they were a child and just behaving rudely.


I have never in all my years witnessed such outrageous behavior from an adult.  When I said this person was acting out, I mean they were cursing at us and saying snide remarks to us (the children).  This person was just downright disrespectful and  bitter towards us for no reason.  None of us did anything to this person, so we shouldn't have had to feel her wrath.


During the trip we were invited to this conference called, "School Your Food".  The conference was pretty much about trying to get healthier school lunch.  The people hosting the conference broke everyone in the audience up into groups.  I noticed during the conference that said adult was looking as if they could care less, she looked as if she didn't even want to be there.  Even if she didn't want to be there, she could've at least tried to disguise it.  I mean seriously, we were supposed to be representing our organization.  Also these people hosting this event invited us to their conference, not only to tell us about their school system, but also to hear about Buffalo's school system as well.  This person was blatantly rude, talking about the food that was served to us.  I mean, haven't you ever heard: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all."

I felt like as a 17 year old child, I acted more like an adult than this person did.  I was tired and ready to go home, but I still got involved in my groups' conversation.  Being involved in the group activity helped me learn some things about Connecticut's school system that I hadn't known and I was actually intrigued.  The whole time we were at the conference this adult had nothing but negative things to say, which tells you a lot about their character.  Their negative aura kind of put a damper on my trip, but in the end I had a very great time and would do everything all over again.

Comments