Meet #MAPYouth Yassin!

Hello my name is Yassin. I’m a MAP Youth Employee and I love working here. I attend McKinley High School and I’m in the 11th grade. I am an all-natural born African from Kenya and I came to the United States about 8 years ago. Wow, it’s been a long time of not looking back. I’ve tried not to. Finally out of the struggle so I am grateful. Anyway, this is my first time working for MAP and during the school year too. I was shy at first but now I’m in my comfort zone and everybody is so friendly. So much diversity, so many different people, different faces.


I decided to work here because my friend, Serge, knew I was struggling to get a job and since he’s such an awesome person he put word in for me. I love him. Normally when I’m not busy either helping someone or playing soccer, I’d rather stay off the streets, so getting this job kind of helped with that. Also I come to The Grant Street Community Center where PUSH And MAP's offices are located.

During the biweekly Big Group Meetings, there’s a run for the money. Everybody is trying to sign up to get their hours straight so I just try to get as many hours as I can. I’m happy the government raised the minimum wage. There’s a reason why I like working here. There are so many different faces, so many different backgrounds, you can learn something from everyone. I’m different myself so I know how it feels to move somewhere and leave the life that you had behind. Now I’m more curious as to finding out everyone’s story and where they come from.

One thing I dislike about working during the school year is going outside when it’s so cold, BRRRRR. I mean, I’ve lived in Buffalo, for 8 years now, so you’d think I’d get used to it but it feels like every winter it gets worse.

Some of the challenges I face working while in high school are that I can’t balance having work and high school at the same time. Maybe it would be easier if work was the same every week. Changing schedules is sometimes hard to keep up with. I want to attend college so I can get a degree in nursing. I hope to find a good job in the medical field. While working, I wish to extend my studies and move onto becoming a Doctor. Now that hasn’t always been my dream but I’m steadfast on that now. I’ll go lengths to accomplish my goals though.

When I’m not daydreaming about goals I’m scoring goals on the pitch. In my spare time, I love to play soccer. Sadly that’s the only sport I play mostly because I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I’ve aspired to become professional like other great soccer players like Benzema, Ronaldhino and Cristiano Ronaldo.

I like moving around, you know, so I go here and there and out of my way to better my community. I recycle when I can, donate clothes if they don’t fit me, and I used to help out at my Mosque. Since we’ve moved to the east side it’s hard for me to get to my Mosque often so, I’m unable to do so. I help out at PUSH sometimes when they need me to because I’ve been around them for so long, they rubbed off on me.  

Thank you for checking out The Revolution Will Be Cultivated! To support #MAPYouth for The United Way of Buffalo & Erie County's Spring It On campaign, visit out our fundraiser page here: www.springiton.org/MAP



Comments