What Is a Co-op


Now on to the exciting world of co-ops. A co-op is a special kind of business. When starting a business it's cool to make all the money and be your own boss. Yeah right, when you're the only boss you also have a lot of responsibilities. Say for instance your business is a total flop, you are the only one in debt and you are the only one responsible for paying it. With a co-op there is more than one boss so you share the responsibility. So maybe you have to share the money, so you don't make as much as a person who doesn't have a co-op, but then again if the business tanks you won't have as much debt either. The debt could be shared between the owners of the business. One of the seven co-op principles says that everyone who works invests. Yes I did say seven. I don't remember them all because there are just to many, but then again I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning either ,but that's not the point. The main one I remember is everyone gets an equal vote, meaning no matter what your role is in the company everyone has equal say. I also know co-ops have the free will and do most of the time work with other co-ops. The business group is a co-op. We are a workers co-op, meaning we work to give other youth jobs, pretty cool huh? The one thing I love about being a co-op is the fact that it cares about the community and the people in it. I definitely care about my community, because it's my home. The one place that will always be there for you when you need it the most. The people will always be there to help you through a crisis, so why not care? Your community is where your friends are where you have to go to everyday. If you don't care then that is just sad. Let me ask you do you want your future children and future grandchildren to grow up in a community where everyone can't stand each other and the surroundings are just nasty? I don't, and I'm quite sure a lot of people agree with me.

Comments