Meet Win!


Hello, my name is Win. My full name is Win Thu. I am 14 years old and a freshman at Buffalo Academy for Visual and Performing Arts. My major is vocal because I love to sing, that's my passion. I am originally from Thailand. I am trilingual - I speak English, Burmese and Karen. I came to America when I was 2 and have been living in Buffalo for about 12 years.

I have been working with MAP for about 7 months and so far is has been great! I joined MAP because I want to learn more about gardening and because it's cool knowing that I'm only 14 and have a job. Also, that I'm getting paid to do things that interest me. What I have learned so far is to garden 😀 and to problem solve. My favorite part of the job is planting, gardening and farming. My least favorite is writing, turning compost and moving mulch. The challenges I face sometimes working as a high schooler is time management. Some days I have tons of homework and when I get home after work I am so exhausted.

After graduation I have so many plans. One, I want to go on a road trip on the day of my graduation to look around and see where I want to live. Second, I plan to move in with my boyfriend. Third, I want to go to collage. Forth, I want to travel, a lot.

Outside of work I don't really do anything. It's either I stay home and watch Netflix and shove chips in my mouth or go out and spend time with my boyfriend. I really don't know how I give back to the community, except growing plants with my supervisor Claire. I'm interested in food justice because people deserve the best and should be treated with equal amounts of food. My story relating to food is just sitting down with my family and sharing a meal with them.

Comments