Meet Caleb!


It's someone else's responsibilities.
I used to constantly say this when it pertained to taking incentive in government. I trusted the people in my city to be my voice.

I remember my interview to work at MAP in the dark kitchen in the back of the youth center. My future mentor, Rebekah Williams, was asking questions and trying to get a feel for the kind of person I was. As I swiped at flies and adjusted by tie, I told her about the kind of person I strive to be. I was to be the boy who shows up with their resume in classy clothes, I want to laugh the loudest in the room, I want people to look up me to lead. MAP was my first step towards becoming this person.

Fast forward a month into working at MAP and we are going to Participatory Budgeting meetings. We are getting paid to learn the power of cooperation in our community. MAP is giving their employees a leg up by teaching them that the only way to have change in the community is by getting involved; going to school board meetings, starting a block club, going to a sit-in at City Hall.

A month ago Carl Palidino expressed nasty views and he is a man in a place of power. Most people think if you are elected then you speak and represent all people, but that is not the case. We vote and appoint people to help aid justice and government, but it is everyone's obligation to participate in the community and government. That is where MAP comes in. A large reason people don't vote or participate in government is because they don't start when they are young, so it's not a normal tradition. MAP shows us that we have power and responsibility, no matter who we are.

Comments