My Plate, My Budget?


By Gabe C

This exercise was a fun and interesting one. In this exercise I was tasked with shopping for my 'family' of 2 adults and 2 children. My food money came from food stamps. Which, after some budgeting calculations I determined that I had $1.45 smackaroons per meal. This amount is higher than the $1.40 smackaroons average per meal for food stamps. We did this exercise as a means to convey the unfair standards that the government expects us to live on, especially when considering any financial limitations.

Chili-con-manzana


My plan of action when shopping was to deprive my family of any food-based joy, and only feed them the essential nutrients, which can be found in chili, milk and apples. Just like nature intended. Theoretically, I could live off a large pot of chili with milk and apples, as these are some of my favorite things to ingest. I would probably get sick of it, but, if my life was on the line, then I would get over it, because starvation is not chic.  I would have to change it up as to stave off my stomach's insanity.

Three ways that that my shopping list is good:
  1. it falls way under budget
  2. it fulfills everything the My Plate recommends
  3. I would only have to cook once a week.
Two ways that this would stink:
  1. It would get boring, fast
  2. It isn't very healthy.
  3. I would end up having my children hate chili

Comments