Meet Becca, an ABLE team leader!

My name is Becca and this summer I’ll be working at MAP as a Growing Green Team Leader!


My introduction to MAP began a few summers ago when I worked with Katie and Jesse as a summer farm intern. I spent many summer days planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, and preparing produce for the weekly CSA and farm stand. My experience as an urban farmer was challenging but impactful, and sparked my interest in all things food-related. For the first time, I began to consider my role as a consumer in the food system. I was hungry to learn more - not only about growing and harvesting food - but also about the long journey that so much of our food takes before making it onto our plates.

Freshly picked sage was used during our inaugural summer lunch this year.

At school in Boston, I continued to pursue this interest, taking courses in political science, ecology, biology and sociology. I was lucky enough to spend last semester in northern Tanzania, where I spent time traveling and learning about small-scale tea cultivation from local farmers. I’ll return to school in the fall, finishing my last year at Boston College and graduating in May.

View of the Youth Garden from Breckenridge Street. Onions, cabbages, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, pumpkins and more!
This summer, I’m excited to get busy again outside. I love the concept of MAP’s Youth Garden – a place where we can all learn, grow, and harvest food for our weekly Friday lunches together. Onions, cabbages, beans, peppers, corn, kale, lettuce, and herbs are among the wonderful veggies growing in the garden. With such a diverse selection of food, I can’t wait to enjoy some delicious meals utilizing as much fresh produce from the garden as possible. Stay tuned for more updates about my time as a Team Leader and the adventures we will have this summer at MAP!

Comments