Meet a farmer! Claire



Hello, my name is Claire. I've been the Farm Education coordinator here at MAP for one year.

Sustainable farming practices are important to me because I care about the health of our whole ecosystem.

My favorite part about being a farmer is seeing plants grow and then eating them!

My plant superhero is Taylor Johnston, Manager of the Gardens and Greenhouses at the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum in Boston, Mass.


When I'm not farming, I like to sew.

My favorite things to grow are peas and spinach. My favorite things to eat are peas and chocolate.

If I could change one this about the food system it would be more people knowing what their food looks like when it is growing.

Something you don't know about me is that I don't like kiwi, or avocado.

If I could tell the world one thing about what being a farmer is like I would say your fingers are always dirty, no matter how much soap you use.

Climate change is affecting my garden through variable and extreme weather patters. Where are the spring rains?!

One this I'm doing to protect the environment on my farm is using cover crops to build the soil.

I think we need more young people involved in farming because the average age of a farmer is over 50. This is not sustainable for the future of our food!

One thing I'm doing to create healthy soil in my garden is by composting our waste and returning it to our garden beds.

The most difficult thing about sustainable farming is being patient for decomposition.

This post is based on Food Tank's Farmer Spotlight series. We will be highlighting the young farmers working at MAP in effort to join the global conversation about farming and food.

Comments