Meet #MAPYouth Mariah!

Hi! My name is Mariah. I’m 16 years old. I’m in 10th grade and I attend Lafayette High School. I’ve been working at MAP for 2 summers and 2 school years. I’m from the United States and have been here all my life. What I plan on doing after I graduate from high school is go to college for cosmetology and graduate from there, then open my own nail salon.


What I love about MAP is how we get to go visit different places, and have people come talk to us about their career and let us know how it is in case we want to do that specific thing when we get older. I also like that since I’ve been working at MAP I’ve met new people and built friendships with them. What I dislike about MAP is that we have such a little area to do our work and sometimes it’s distracting because we share a center with PUSH and the kids tend to be loud and it kind of throws us off.

The hardest thing about going to school and working at the same time is after school activities sometimes interfere with work hours. What I enjoy doing outside of working at MAP is being with my boyfriend, going to the movies, going out to eat, hanging with friends, normal stuff like that. I help out the community by #1 working at MAP and 2nd I recycle and clothes that do not fit me anymore. My mom donates them. I found out about MAP through the City of Buffalo summer youth program. My mom and I went downtown to sign up for a summer job and they gave us a list of places and explained what those specific places did. They explained MAP. And my mom liked how it was very involved with helping the community out so she picked here.

Thank you for checking out The Revolution Will Be Cultivated! To support #MAPYouth for The United Way of Buffalo & Erie County's Spring It On campaign, visit out our fundraiser page here: www.springiton.org/MAP


Comments