School Lunch: Cheap, Yet Healthy?

Hello, my name is Serge Muharareni and I am a student at Hutch-Tech High School.  I am writing about the issue that most people, especially parents and teachers, should be concerned about, school lunches.

School lunches are based on a cheap budget, $2.86 per lunch, which is canceling out the importance of students to eat healthy.

When I first came to the U.S. from Senegal, I always ate the school lunches, but I never liked their appearance.  I used to think that it was because I wasn’t familiar with the food.  Four years later, the schools are serving the same kinds of food and it just hasn’t gotten any better.

It is a good thing that most of the lunches don’t have much sugar to ensure against diabetes, but the fat in the food isn’t any better.  The food seems weird to me most of the time and it doesn’t even taste right.  For example, some of the burgers they serve seem greasy and too oily.  More fruits and vegetables also need to be added.  By fruits I don’t just mean apples and grapes, I mean all of them, such as strawberries and pineapples.

Besides, what could a person eat for lunch with only $2?  School lunches need to improve and be based on the needs of the human body, not on how cheap they are.

Comments